Monday, November 13, 2006

The Best Consultants (part 1 of 38,329)

What makes a consultant great? It’s a question I’ve thought about every time I’ve hired one, and we ask ourselves frequently at my firm. It’s not just the technical skills, but then that’s obvious.

The best consultants I know make a positive contribution on every engagement, and that contribution is usually not isolated just to the particular task they are assigned to.

I remember very early in my career as I was making the transition from hardware design to software design, I was having a terrible time with some embedded firmware I had written. I’ll spare you all the gory details, but ultimately a consultant was assigned to help me fix it. Well, not only did he show me the error of my ways in my interrupt handling scheme, but he also began to teach me the things they never teach you in school - the subtleties of becoming a good programmer.

This particular person ended up becoming a long-time mentor and friend so I happen to know he’s made that kind of personal (not personnel) contribution again and again. One thing the top consultants have in common is that they are both willing and able to share their gifts, and do so generously.

No comments:

Post a Comment