Friday, December 8, 2006

You haven’t worked in our Industry

Here is a question I hear when working with new clients in different industries. How can you help us if you don’t know our market? Over the years I have tried to be vertical market agnostic in the pursuit of technology solutions. So when I come across this question I am ready.


My reaction is that domain knowledge does matter however the application of technologies that work to solve similar problems in different industries could be just as helpful. I find that just by mentioning a related problem encountered elsewhere and discussing how we solved it and the technologies used really brings the client on-board fast.


Technologies come and go quickly, much faster than typical product innovations. Companies used to certain communication mechanisms or display devices may not see the exciting changes happening. Certainly not all technologies are applicable in every market however many are and the challenge is to choose carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment