Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Interoperability, sometimes it just works!

I just took ownership of my first “green” car … Toyota Camry Hybrid. It is quite an impressive vehicle with excellent gas mileage for a midsized car. My research has shown it would be a very sophisticated, technological savvy vehicle. The computer control system enables real-time monitoring and control of energy consumption. Switching back and forth as needed between electric battery and gasoline engine within a fraction of a second. I was very happy with my purchase considering just energy savings, comfort and safety.

What I didn’t realize is the degree of sophistication with Voice Activation, NAV, Bluetooth and cell phone connectivity. Multiple vendors and industries are involved with the above technologies. Yet Toyota was able to interface them seamlessly? The ease of connecting my Blackberry Pearl with the car’s Bluetooth was a thing of beauty. But the most amazing part was that I was able to transfer my Blackberry address book contacts to the auto’s address book wirelessly via Bluetooth. It is one thing to have basic connectivity, another to agree on a data transport via Bluetooth to capture the phone’s information. I wonder if a contact's address can go right into the NAV system to set the destination point?  Maybe next model year.

No comments:

Post a Comment