Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Getting kids interested in Software Development

One of the things I worry about is the lack of talented young people going into software development. I know when I’ve been looking for junior engineers, it’s been almost impossible to find them, so I’m always on the lookout for ways I can help promote Software Development, Engineering or other STEM careers among young people. I think it’s critically important to the future success of our country.


That’s why I was so intrigued when I read about Kodu Game Lab, then I remembered something about this in Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture (if you’re one of the very few people that have not seen this – it is a MUST SEE. Yes, it’s long, but years later, just thinking about it still brings tears to my eyes) - a tool, or game, or learning environment invented at Carnegie Mellon called Alice. Two seconds on Google, revealed that there were quite a few of these tools, (or games, or environments, or whatever you call them)


I think these tools (or games, or environments, or whatever you call them) are brilliant ideas, but I don’t hear about them being used too much. Has anyone out there had any experience or first hand knowledge with any of these?

2 comments:

  1. TECH CORPS uses both Alice and Scratch in its after-school (TECHie Club) and summer (TECHie Camp) programs. The students (3rd-8th grades) love both of the tools and have created really cool projects. Just last month, I ran into a parent who told me her son (who had attended our elementary school programming camp) was still using Scratch! Helping students to become active creators with technology versus passive users is what we focus on and students rise to the occasion!!! Thanks for writing about such an important issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool! I love hearing stories like this!

    I'd love to learn more about TECH CORPS. Sounds like you're doing great work.

    ReplyDelete