Monday, June 20, 2011

Innovation - Simple Is Best

As I recover from minor foot surgery I discovered an important fact. The use of crutches is exhausting. The only thing required of me to heal properly was not to put any weight on the foot. Sounds easy but after a few days I found the use of crutches to be limiting and exhausting. Facing six to eight weeks on crutches I began looking for alternatives.

A friend of mine recommended a Knee Walker. At first the scooter, as I prefer to call it, did seem laughable. But when I tried one I could see how such a simple device could be so helpful. After using one for the past 6 weeks I am a huge fan.

So what did I learn from this experience? Some of the most innovative products are the simplest. Entrepreneurs, inventors and engineers thinking of the next great breakthrough product need to ask themselves two simple questions.

What problem am I trying to solve?
What is the simplest way to solve it?

That is a good start for any new endeavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment