Wednesday, August 8, 2012

How Process Improvement is Like Golf

Every time I’ve taken group golf lessons, the pro has started from the grip and gone through stance, swing and the whole works, laying out his best generic way to hit the ball. I recently learned of a golf school that prides themselves on the fact that they start where you are and help you improve the game you’ve already got. I love this!

This is the same approach I find most successful in process improvement work.  Every developer, engineer and organization has things they do well--and, as I firmly believe, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Every organization has pieces of a process, which may not be ideal, but usually suffice for the time-being.

The key to keeping focus and gaining momentum in process improvement initiatives is finding those key leverage points that can make the biggest difference and leaving the rest for later. A golfer can only keep so many tips in their head, and a development organization can only change so many things at once without destroying their productivity.

Thanks for continuing to read. I love getting your comments back. If you have any suggestions for future topics, send them along, and I’ll do my best to cover them.

-Judi

1 comment: