Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Value of a Startup Mentality in Large SW Companies



Many of the large companies I work with, and have worked for, are trying to figure out how to create an entrepreneurial culture in the fashion of today's successful startups. I think this is a fine idea, especially the modeling of two particularly attractive traits of startups.

1. Speed: They just get things done! There’s no long approval process, and sometimes there’s no approval at all. "Just do it" is the mantra. Of course, speed should never turn into carelessness, which can then turn into chaos.

2. Budget: I know one firm that has built one of the most innovative and technically challenging products I’ve seen in a long time using various open source products. In a big company, there’s often money to spend, and it gets spent, and often with much less successful results.

I’ve worked in both big and small companies, and there are advantages to each. The resources of a big company are nice, but for me, nothing beats the passion and resourcefulness of a startup.

-Judi

No comments:

Post a Comment