Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Doodle -- A Cool Application

Every so often a web-based application really catches my attention. This time it is Doodle, a simple and innovative scheduling application. It is ideally suited for coordinating a meeting or event when more than just a couple of people are involved. No more back and forth emails due to Doodle's voting mechanism. Very cool.

I often wonder what makes a particular application so attractive while similar ones are not. Of course there is no easy answer and it is very subjective.

For me the application needs to:

-Do one thing and do it well
-Be easy to use
-Be accessible from anywhere at any time
-Be offered at a "reasonable price" (not necessarily free)
Companies often cast a wide net when designing new products. The thinking is to add as many features as possible to make the product desirable to a large audience. But I prefer to narrow the focus and go deep in implementing the core functionality. I believe if you focus on end user interaction and then make the product easy to use you will have a winner.

Please share your favorite application with me.

-Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment