Monday, June 4, 2007

Fear and Loathing in IT

I read an interesting article today on Web 2.0 in the enterprise. I think the author was dead on with this one. Many of the senior IT executives I’ve known fear Web 2.0 technologies. They say it’s all about security, but I think she got the real reason right – it’s about information sharing.

I worked in one organization where there was so much “confidential” information shared at the senior staff meetings that you couldn’t share anything discussed there with your team, for fear of disclosing something you shouldn’t. In fact, most of this information did not need to be confidential, and much of it was already in the rumor mill.

Unfortunately, the problem is not a technology issue – it’s cultural. Hopefully, the author is correct in her assessment that this will start to shift as the generation of workers familiar with IM, Wikis and MySpace enters the workforce. If you ask me, the sooner the better.

As organizations learn to share information freely, they empower their most valuable resource – their people.

No comments:

Post a Comment