Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Virtual Development Teams

Sometimes when I read about trends, I wonder if they are “real.” How many people are actually doing it and is it working for them? I am getting to see one trend in action more and more often lately – virtual development teams.

I’m working with a few companies that are completely virtual – no one works in the same physical location. Right now, I’m even looking for a developer to work with one of these teams. One of the many benefits of this arrangement is that we can look anywhere, and I do mean anywhere.

I’ve managed individuals that worked in remote locations, and teams that were in multiple locations, but never a team where no one was co-located. The most interesting thing about this engagement is that the client is ok with not meeting the developer. I’m not sure I would have been but in this case I can see why. They are looking for someone with Open Source experience. They’ll be able to see real code this person has produced, and see how this person interacts with another virtual team. This is so much more revealing than the typical (or even a good) interviewing process.

The broader implications of this are fascinating. Are we really moving towards a true talent market where we can work with the best of the best, from anywhere in the world?

2 comments:

  1. Great point and very interesting food for thought. I'm not sure I have any clients I can replicate this with, but will bear in mind for the future. Regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've seen it both successful and not. If you try in the future, I'd be glad to chat with you about it more.

    ReplyDelete