Friday, October 16, 2009

Self-regulation in Software Development

Senia Maymin (I can’t link to her website for some reason – I’ll update this when I can) has written a bunch about a concept called Self-Regulation. This concept fascinates me. It’s one of those things that’s simple – particularly to understand, but certainly not easy. It’s the skill that you use to do the things you need to or should do. The idea is that self-regulation is like a muscle and the more you use it (in any area) the stronger it gets (in every area.)


It’s easy to see how it applies to my life – go to the gym, make my sales calls, blog, etc. I always thought that once you did those things and saw the benefits, you’d do them again BECAUSE you saw the benefits, but the way she talks about it, it’s less intellectual than that. The more you do these things, the easier it is to do other things. But how does it apply to the field of Software Development?


It’s easy to see the areas where you might need self-regulation, testing, documentation, and perhaps for some, design. Does this mean that if you make yourself do a good thorough design it will be easier to make yourself do the testing or documentation? Well, it’s certainly easier to do those activities for a well designed system, but is it easier to get yourself motivated to do them? Interesting question – I really don’t know…

No comments:

Post a Comment