Sunday, March 18, 2007

Mandatory Tools for Telecommuting

Winter is still with us and as I work from home I keep wondering do I have everything I need. Well probably not. What do I need? I have my trusty Powerbook, my Treo, and internet connectivity. Is that enough?

The most important secondary tools are the various power supply adapters. Without those you will have a very short workday. Unfortunately no notebook I am aware of has a battery capable of supplying an 8-hour charge. I have found that by turning off BlueTooth and WIFI (except when needed) does help. But you will still need that power adapter for a full days work. Most modern notebooks that are 3 years old or less have built in WIFI and LAN support. The days of carrying a bunch of PCMCIA cards are behind us.  I do recommend a Flash memory drive for backup. The easiest way to back up files today is to a FLASH drive.

The remaining key item is a secure software infrastructure. On my notebook I have a VPN client. This is a crucial part of the telecommuting working experience. With a VPN server setup in the office I am able to SECURELY access the files that I forgot to transfer to my flash drive the night before. You want to work on your local hard drive but sometimes you just need that  remote access because there is always one more file to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment