Thursday, March 1, 2007

Working in "the zone"

I remember being in “the zone” when I was a programmer. Coding for 8, 10, 12 hours at a stretch, not realizing it was time for lunch, or time to go home. I don’t get into that situation very often anymore. My day is often very fragmented – emails, calls, meetings, etc.

I just spent most of today writing. I was writing on a topic I was interested in, so I enjoyed it, but I find that I just can’t sit still for that long anymore. Of course, I’m not the 25 year-old I was then (even thought in my head I still think I am), but I think it’s more than just physical.

I think my constant multi-tasking has eroded my ability to focus. Lately I have been working on that – consciously bringing my attention back to the task at hand. I find that focus and that ability to be “present” allows me to enjoy what I’m doing more. I also get much more done without the distractions, but it was hard at first. I had gotten so used to being “connected” constantly. I wonder if our instant access culture has affected others the same way. Can developers (or any other knowledge worker) get into the zone and stay there in this age of email, voice mail, IM, etc?

1 comment:

  1. [...] So why do we do it? I find myself so easily distracted and at the same time, easily annoyed by the distractions (most of them anyway). I’ve been aware of this problem for quite a while and even publicly acknowledged it here some months back. [...]

    ReplyDelete