Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Presenting yourself

We’ve been considering what kinds of Professional Development opportunities to offer for our employees and one thing that came up was presentation skills. Initially my reaction was, “Most of our team would not use this,” but after further thought, I realized that everyone uses this skill.

It may not be in a formal presentation with a power point, podium, and audience, but the ability to speak clearly and concisely with poise can benefit anyone, no matter what their job or role. Our consultants are in our client companies ever day representing us, and we want them to have all the skills they can do represent us well.

I was recently discussing MBA programs with a friend, and thinking back on mine, I realized that the single most valuable element of my excellent program was the fact that we presented at least once in every single course.

I had the opportunity to present recently at the Trenton Computer Festival, and while there were certainly things I would improve, it was reasonably good. I attribute this in great part to all the practice I got in my MBA classes. Without that, I think I would have been nervous and not nearly as effective. So, bottom line is I think we will put Presentation skills on our Professional Development docket.

No comments:

Post a Comment