Monday, January 15, 2007

Can a vacation really be a vacation

Remember when we used to go on vacation and not actually work?  Maybe you don't, but I do, back before the days of the Blackberry and even email (I know - I'm dating myself).

I've just returned from an eight day vacation, where I checked in via phone a few times, but did nothing more.  Did not check email, did not work, did not even read business books or magazines, which I do constantly.  I returned to 300+ emails, which frankly was less than I expected.  It took me all day Sunday to get through them, but for me it was worth it just to turn off work for a week and play.

My partner is now on vacation, and he has a different approach.  He's been on IM with me on and off all day.  He's also responded to almost all of my emails - even the ones that did not require an immediate response. The benefit to this approach is that he will not have the catch up that I had when I get back.

Now, I get that there are emergencies, and that client issues and opportunities need to be addressed, but for me personally, if I can spend the extra time up front to handle things proactively, arrange for coverage, and be somewhat available for the few things that can't be addressed by others, that's preferable.

I love my job, and I'm passionate about my business, but I also love my hobbies and my time with my friends and family.  I've tried it both ways - working every spare minute on vacation (my husband hated it!), and this last time not, and found this last vacation to be one of the most fun and relaxing I can remember in ages.  For me this worked, but I respect my partner's decision to do it another way.  At least he won't have hundreds and hundreds of emails to read on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment