Monday, January 15, 2007

"Speed Dating" for professionals

Last night I attended the most interesting networking event I've been to in quite a while – it was called “Power Match” but to me it was speed dating for executives. Now to be fair, I’ve never been speed dating, but I do have single friends that have, and this sounds very similar. You spend ten minutes with one or two other people, and then a bell rings and you switch. What a great way to meet a lot of people, if only for a few minutes.

I do a lot of networking, and most of it follows the same format – a bit of unstructured time followed by a meal and a speaker. I enjoy it, but being slightly introverted by nature I wind up talking to just a few people at each event - sometimes people I feel comfortable with, or sometimes people I get “trapped” with. In any case, I know I don’t always make the most of these situations.

Well, this format was great for that. I had the opportunity to meet almost everyone in the room, and there were some fascinating people there. The best part is that now I can follow up with those that are the most interesting contacts. For anyone that is new to networking, slightly shy, or just wants to try something different, I would highly recommend something like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment