Monday, January 8, 2007

Results vs. Face Time

Every time we hire a new team member my partners and I have a conversation about whether or not, and how often, they should be in the office.  I'm of the opinion that as long as they get the desired results it doesn't matter. One of my partners feels strongly that they will not become a "real" member of the team if they are not in the office.  I understand this point of view, certainly it is harder to form a relationship with someone you don't see on a regular basis, but I don't think it's impossible.

We currently have a team member that works offsite more than 90% of the time.   This individual is a great communicator and has a TON of personality.  He calls and IMs all of us regularly (multiple times a day).  Even though I can count the number of times he's been in the office, I feel like we're all forming a good, strong relationship with him.  Sometimes I wish he was here more often, (he's an absolute riot) but I know he's more productive at home, and truthfully we're probably all more productive when he's not here.

Who knows what it would be like if he was here on a regular basis, but I really believe that with modern communication tools (VPN, IM, etc.) we can have the best of both worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment